Lancaster Cathedral, also known as The Cathedral Church of St Peter. It towers above its superb location overlooking Lancaster and Lancaster Canal.
The cathedral has the motto “Our Goal is the Kingdom of God”.
In 1856, several sums of money became available for the building of a church. On April 29, 1857, the foundation stone of the church was laid by the then Dr. Goss, the Bishop of Liverpool and on October 4, 1859, the church was consecrated and dedicated to Saint Peter, Prince of the Apostles, in a service led by Dr. Goss.
Raised to cathedral status for the Diocese of Lancaster in 1924. This fine neo-gothic building was designed by Edward Paley of Lancaster.
In 1909, for the Golden Jubilee a new baptistry was added on the side of the cathedral and the high altar was greatly elaborated by Giles Gilbert Scott, who added a fine triptych above the altar.
The cathedral was extensively restored, redecorated and reordered in 1995, and the new altar consecrated on the anniversary of the first consecration. In 1994, the cathedral was designated a Grade II listed building by English Heritage.