The Metropolitan Cathedral Church of St David in Cardiff was designed by Pugin and Pugin Architects and constructed 1884-87.
It was Cardiff’s principal Catholic church, and it became seat of the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Cardiff in 1916.
In 1920 it was declared the Cathedral Church of the new Archdiocese of Cardiff.
The Cathedral was destroyed by World War II bombing in March 1941 when incendiary bombs pierced the roof.
During the 1950s it was restored and rebuilt, under the supervision of F. R. Bates, Son, and Price and was re-opened in March 1959.