Commonly known as Shrewsbury Cathedral, Our Lady Help of Christians and Saint Peter of Alcantara is found in the centre of Shrewsbury near the River Severn.
The Church was designed by Edward Pugin and was completed in 1856.
The building was paid for by Bertram, Earl of Shrewsbury who sadly died three months before it was completed. It was he who chose the dedication and wished to take the name of Shrewsbury.
The Cathedral was re-ordered in 1984 to make it more practical for the celebration of the revised liturgy.
A new Altar of local Grinshill Stone was consecrated by Bishop Gray in March 1985. Amongst the glories of the Cathedral must be counted the stained glass.
Six out of the ten windows are the outstanding work of Margaret Rope which were produced in the period between the wars. She was the daughter of a local doctor and after training, in Dublin, she became a Carmelite nun.